Fall 2020 ︎︎︎ SUNY Purchase ︎︎︎ (DES4100) Community Design
What is Community?
What do communities look like?
- What communities are you are part of?
- What works for you about them?
- How big are those communities?
- What does “membership” mean in these communities?
- What other names would they go by?
- What aspect of these groups are socially constructed and culturally fed back to you?
Viewings, part 1We’re going to watch a in preparation for a discussion and related assignment(s). Take notes. They must be scanned/photographed and handed in at the end of the semester. Because of the time-sensitive nature of much of the in class works, you’ll have to view these outside of class. I will provide links to services you can watch it on, possible free places to watch it and host screenings/viewing parties for these. I may need to also provide some context for some of these. We’ll set a “due date” for viewing and the related discussion soon.
- Star Trek: Voyager, “Unity” Season 3, Episode 17 (1997)
- The Fresh Prince of Belair, “Papa’s Got a Brand New Excuse”
Season 4, Episode 24 (1994)
- The Fate of the Furious (2017)
While, and after watching think about the following:
- What are the “communities” involved in each piece of media and how do they form?
- How are people who are exiled from a given community or group treated?
- How and when do they break the bonds of said community?
For what purpose was the community or group originally formed?
Was it voluntary or coincidental?
︎Back to Community Design