Fall 2021 ︎︎︎ CUNY Queens College ︎︎︎ (DESN241) Design 1
introduction to discussion: Brockhampton
What you have to watch
BackgroundCritique is an important part of creating work. An important component of critique is engaging in the discussion. That being said this class I find that students often are not sure what to comment on, or are in need of more “art directorial” critique which may end up being more of me talking. In theory that’s fine. To supplement that we’ll be having periodic discussions, which will start out not overtly related to the designing of graphics. This initial one will be on the group Brockhampton’s 2017 song “GOLD”
The discussion will take place in 2 weeks on 09/28/2021. I will distribute a schedule and you will be required to attend at the assigned time.
How to have a good discussion
Watch the video (duh)
- Examine and check in with your feelings and reactions (good/bad/indifferent)
Take good and clear notes that you review before the class discussion.
- Review supporting materials
- Read the lyrics to the song and analyze them in greater depth.
- Listen to the rest of the album from which the song came
Read the group’s wikipedia page
Watch or read album reviews
Questions to be ready to discuss and think about as you watch this
- What did you think about the song and why?
- What did you feel about the video for the song and why?
- Do you enjoy hip hop and how does this song square with your enjoyment of hip hop or lack thereof?
- What is the video “about”? What makes you think that?
- What is the song “about”? What makes you think that?
- Do you agree or disagree with reviews of the album Saturation from which the song comes?
- Did you watch any other Brockhampton videos or interviews after watching the video? How do they compare?
Some contextualizing videos/other critiques after you’ve watched the episode
What are notes?
It is fine to note your initial reactions but please make sure you extrapolate out your ideas into full sentences. For example “Wow that’s crazy!” Is not very helpful, but “The cliffhangar at the end of act 1 really heightened the stakes in the two people not being able to understand each other!” Additionally be ready to discuss said notes.
︎Back to Design 1