Fall 2022 ︎︎︎ SUNY Purchase College ︎︎︎ (DES4100) Community Design
What is Community? Video Series: Disney Channel’s theme
This is a bit of a different video and is not part of the linear trajectory that it may have felt like we were construction with the other videos. This just came out recently and I found it pretty impactful. It is explicitly about someone trying to find the author of the Disney Channel theme, but it is implicitly about more which has a lot to do with what we talk about in Graphic Design:
- Does being an artist “online” somehow invalidate what you do? That is to say online vs. print, film, live performance and the like.
- What is “content” and what is “art”?
- What does authorship mean? Is it important to be known for the things you do? Would you want to be know for everything you do or have done?
- What kind of history can exist with the “churn” of cultural production?
- How does anonymity change your appreciation and understanding of media?
The Required Viewing
Other Things to Consider Looking At
You may find this tangential to explicitly being about Graphic Design. Here’s some things to re-center you:
The Crystal Goblet by Beatrice Warde︎ The classic text on the designer working in service of the content
- Cult of the Ugly︎ Steven Heller’s response to then-new work being produced in Graphic Design that Modernists (like Massimo Vignelli) found to be a “disease”
- Designer as Author︎ An essay about “authorship” through multiple lenses and in multiple disciplines and how it is perceived differently (in art vs. film for example)
- Designers and Dilettantes︎ (full disclosure Elliott Earls is my personal friend and was my mentor in graduate school, for what it is worth) An essay discussing the current state of authorship and how technology has effected it.