Spring 2023 ︎︎︎ SUNY Purchase College ︎︎︎ (DES3440) Typographic Investigations
Project: Calligraphy Recital
Background / Objective
So we’re simply looking here for a more formalized exteriorization of the calligraphy work that we’ve already done in class. The goal here is to put cap on that work to focus on the final project. It seems like people are getting the hang of things and so it is also an opportunity to explore a new alphabet (if you want), re-address previous ones we’ve looked at, and show it off in a more finished piece.
1 poster* (any size) displaying your best calligraphic output
(This is at minimum 11in. by 17in. please strongly consider going larger if applicable, or at least make your aspect ratio purposeful)
Must be a “sentence” of more than 7 (seven) words. You do not have to use a pangram (for reasons of poetic resonance) but consider letter combinations in your work
- Team up with someone else to have two lines from a song that visually relate to each other (ie “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”)
- Consider working with other folks in the class to produce a longer print combining multiple people’s work. Perhaps the ornament is intertwined in some way.
- Let the letters be the “star.” Photographic or illustrative elements are welcome but consider their placement and the overall composition relative to the lettering.
- Avoid filters that, for example, distort the letter shapes.
- Consider other methodologies like, digitizing your lettering, projecting it onto a new paper and then retracing it, placing it on a 3D product mock-up in Adobe Dimension, or performing your lettering live.
- Use these resources to look at other alphabets and methods of ornamentation
04/11/2022 ︎︎︎ Final Calligraphy session(Blackletter Majuscules + Ornament)
04/25/2022 ︎︎︎ Recital!