(Free & Affordable) Resources for Fonts
- My personal collection︎Please do not use these for commercial projects without buying them. These are so that you can work with specific typefaces, compare to demo versions, or work with variable fonts.
- Velvetyne︎ These are free and include Glyphs files which are super helpful.
- Futurefonts.xyz︎ Not free, but some fonts have demo versions, or getting in “on the ground floor” of a given typeface’s development can be super affordable.
- OH No Type Co.︎A good deal of James’ work can be found on Adobe Fonts, but he also has a bunch of demo fonts available here
- Behance Free Font Projects︎ Most of these are relatively “cool” or contemporary looking and should have the link to download the actual font file.
- Variable Fonts︎This is just a list of variable fonts. Unfortunately you cannot sort by cost/license, but there are free and open source ones scattered about
- Creative Market︎ Sometimes this feels like a weird, alternate dimension of graphic design, but people are out here. I’ve perused this a bunch and you can often find something that looks like a more expensive/popular font with some responsible searching.
- The Designer’s Foundry︎ This used to be called “Ten Dollar Fonts” which is a model they’ve distanced themselves from, but still some decently affordable stuff here
- Lost Type Co-op︎Some of these are pay-as-you-wish.
- The League of Movable Type︎I would describe these as conventional, but well made, and free stuff here.
- Google Fonts︎Free fonts here, a lot of these are fairly “conventional” but interesting stuff if you look a little deeper.